ME

This is my story of dedication (for getting into my dream school), belief (in God), courage (to regain the confidence I have lost), and hope (in eventually, finding my Romeo). Let's see how it all works out.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"Sympathy" by Paul Lawrence Dunbar

I know what the caged bird feels, alas!
When the sun is bright on the upland slopes;
When the wind stirs soft through the springing grass;
And the river flows like a stream of glass;
When the first bird sings and the first bud opes;
I know what the caged bird feels!

I know why the caged bird beats his wings.
Till his blood is red on the cruel bars;
For he must fly back to his perch and cling
When he fain would be on the bough a-swing;
And the pain still throbs in the old old scars
And they pulse again with a keener sting --
I know why he beats his wing!

I know why the caged bird sings, ah me,
When is wing is bruised and his bosom sore, --
When he beats his bars and he would be free;
It is not a carol of joy or glee,
But a prayer he sends from his heart's deep core,
But a plea, that upward to Heaven he flings --
I know why the caged bird sings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love all of them and they truly make my day! Plus, keep checking back because I always end up replying to them!
xoxo
:)