ME

This is my story of dedication (for getting into my dream school), belief (in God), courage (to regain the confidence I have lost), and hope (in eventually, finding my Romeo). Let's see how it all works out.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Oh, Fitzgerald

"...standing alone on the marble steps and looking from one group to another with approving eyes. His tanned skin was drawn attractively tight on his face and his short hair looked as though it were trimmed every day. I could see nothing sinister about him. I wondered if the fact that he was not drinking helped to set him of from his guests...but no one swooned backward on Gatsby, and no French bob touched Gatsby's shoulder, and no singing quartets were formed with Gatsby's head for one link."
-The Great Gatsby

Oh God. I have fallen in love with Jay Gatsby. After finishing chapter 3, there are so many questions whirling around in my head; at the same time, I've learned so much about this enigmatic man. He throws these parties where he doesn't know anyone. He fakes his English accent. He incessently (and quite annoyingly) says "old sport". However, I still am drawn and fascinated by the character he is becoming.

For one thing, he has that smile. So reassuring. So consoling. Smile > eyes.
For another, he's created this world...this materialistic, extravagant, sumptuous world...in which he doesn't belong. He's faking his way through life. He's untouched by the disgusting corruption that is washing over these people (including Nick!). He's living life blindingly...all for his one love, Daisy.

Although The Great Gatsby hasn't been one of the favorites, this chapter was mesmerizing. I'm looking forward to reading and annotating (yes, I am a book nerd) this. But I know something ominous is going to happen sooner or later. Hopefully, I don't end up in tears.

What characters from books draw you in? 

3 comments:

  1. Hi, thanks so much for your comment on my blog! I'll definitely start following your new one :)
    I read The Great Gatsby earlier this year, it truly is one of those books where you KNOW something is going to happen, so always continue reading despite the sometimes arduous passages. Gatsby was a fascinating character in that sense, you know there is going to be something more to him than all those embellishments and fakery.
    Let me know what you think when you finish the book!
    - C x

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, a writer friend of mine was just talking about Jay Gatsby in a blog of his too and making me want to reread it. It must be in the stars to pick up a copy of the book. :)

    as for a new blog so your family doesn't read it... oh the irony! When you reach my age, you'll lament that no matter how much you beg, your family won't read your stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. my ap lit class just finished reading that book and watching the movie. haha, im not really a fan(:

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love all of them and they truly make my day! Plus, keep checking back because I always end up replying to them!
xoxo
:)